[geeks] Re: rescue Digest, Vol 3, Issue 7 (shutttle)

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Sun Feb 2 15:36:31 CST 2003

On Sun, 2003-02-02 at 16:18, Ido Dubrawsky wrote:
> Actually Dan, when I meant "off-list" I meant off the rescue list.  Not totally
> off-list...that wouldn't be nice.

Aah, then ok. :)

So, in your opinion, IF they knew about a problem when they were in
space, would there have been anything they could do?  I.E. if they were
able to confirm that there was damage sustained during takeoff (which
some news sources are claiming they did), would there have been anything
they could have done?  Or would they really just hope that whatever the
problem was didn't become a bigger problem during reentry?  I'm
considering the fact that they were on a 16 day mission.  16 days is a
good chunk of the month that i believe was previously mentioned as the
amount of time needed for a shuttle launch.  But, as you previously
mentioned, there would be no method of docking two shuttles, so that
would not be a consideration.  So, how about some other spacecraft?  Is
there anything else that NASA or anyone else in the world has that could
be sent up to the shuttle with supplies that you know of?  It seemes a
bit odd to me that we would have to just say "well, we'll see what
happens when they land."

	-Dan Sikorski