Avoiding Blowhard Syndrome - was: Re: [geeks] U2

Mike Hebel nimitz at speakeasy.net
Sun Feb 2 11:46:24 CST 2003

Kill two reply-birds with one stone here:

On Sunday, February 2, 2003, at 11:29 AM, James wrote:

> At 09:12 AM 2/2/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>> I'm a chronic insomniac. When most people are sleeping, I'm reading or
>> watching documentaries and sci-tech programs. I sleep on average 4
>> hours
>> per day and that's only after years of effort. I used to go days at a
>> time without sleep. I still do sometimes.

The longest was 48 hours.  I usually only get about 5 hours a night
MAX.  Usually it's down to 4 because my daughter doesn't sleep much
either. ;-)

>> I have a very strange memory. At times it is near eidetic, but I'm
>> often
>> ridiculously absent minded. I tend to remember concepts incredibly well
>> but often forget times, dates, and names.

Let me guess:  bad sense of time, names with faces == faulty, forgot
that the french-fries were in the oven while doing something else.  But
you can sit down at most computers and recall everything about that
computer including any and all passwords you've used on it, you can also
mentally picture the network structure without a hint of trouble,
patterns amaze an fascinate you - especially visual ones.

How close am I?

>> I'm a trivia maniac. I read.. Well basically devour trivia of any kind.
>> Books, television, quiz shows whatever.

Yeah, people don't want me to play Jeopardy with them either. ;-)

> If your description of your history and capabilities are true, In this
> circle you are not exceptional, you are the norm. I too have pursued a
> thousand interests and understand many things but I have no memory for
> details. Even with system administration I am reluctant to speak up
> because I am not specialized in any O/S and it is a secondary
> responsibility in my line of work. I choose my posts carefully to avoid
> sounding like a blowhard.

It's hard not to give out too much information at once.  I have similar
problems with people directly in my life.  I have a tendency to correct
them even when it's not strictly necessary
because I _KNOW_ I'm right on the subject after experiencing much pain
having been wrong before or because I studied the subject at some length.

The trick is to give the information gently and slowly.  Overwhelm the
person and you'll always get a bad response.

> And that is my point. When you pontificate on all subjects you sound
> like a blowhard.

Hmm... if it is frequent yes.  If you break it down into smaller chunks
it's much more digestible and less likely to bee seen as a cloud of hot
air.

Mike Hebel