[geeks] mac modem question

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Sep 29 21:38:06 CDT 2002

On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 07:26:45PM -0700, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> PCI modems are not *that* rare, they just are so less appealing than a
> $10 modem that works in 90+ percent of all current desktop computers
> (not workstations ;^) in most peoples eyes, esp. when you have
> *literally* GIGAHERTZ TO SPARE!

I recently built my mother an up-to-date system (Duron 1100, 128meg,
onboard video/sound, 20G, WinXP) to replace her aging Celeron 300.

I went with an external USR 33.6 modem.

Why?

1.  She's in rural Oklahoma, and doesent get more than 26.4 anyway
2.  Storms.  If a lightning hit takes it out, she can take the second one
    I took along with the first one, swap them out, and keep going. 8-)
3.  USR makes The Best Modems.  EVAR.

She had a V.Everything Courier a couple years ago, but lightning fried it. 8-(

Bill

--
bill bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net