[geeks] Cool Software

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Fri Sep 27 13:33:48 CDT 2002

	I have this Pentium 120 laptop here I rescued from being destroyed.
I added a larger HD and maxed the memory (80 MBs Woo Hoo!) and I loaded
Linux on it. Got the network working and the scsi CD-rom.
	Now I am loading software onto it. I am making a CD to carry with it
which has fun/useful software on it. Now here is the discussion, what cool
software do you guys use and or recommend? Here are some examples of what I
have grabbed so far to put on this laptop. Nessus, Snort, ethereal, net
hack, some rom emulators, open office, and prboom.
	There is no good place to go find freeware for solaris/linux that I
know of. I tried download.com and sourceforge but download is kind of sparse
and sourceforge is hard to sort through. So if you have any good sites to
recommend for browsing for software cough them up also.
	Before anyone asks I am not angling for any particular purpose or
meaning for this laptop. It is going to be a catch all play land for me to
experiment with stuff while I am at the park with my daughter or sitting in
McDonalds play land for 1 1/2 hours while she plays. I am interested in all
areas really. You never know what nuggets of

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org
http://www.whro.org