[geeks] C++ style

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Sep 19 19:05:00 CDT 2002

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 06:23:27PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> > Might I point out that my education at school did not cover things like
> > STL, or "how the bloody thing works", or even "here are the titles of
> > the relevent books that you can find in our library".
>
> That's really odd.  C++ is everywhere (much to my chagrin), and the STL
> makes the language a much more useful beast.

What can I say.  Until recently (if they even changed it recently), they
were using their own string class instead of the one that came with
GCC.  And they were using their own vector class, and so on.

> I -know- VC++ 6 has the STL.  There was great fanfare when it was
> included in v4.x.  GCC 2.95.x has it if libstdc is installed, since the
> STL was unbundled from the gcc source back then.

Hmm.  That library is installed on the linux server.  And with some
tweaking, I was able to make one of my programs use the STL vector class
instead of the one I had provided.

So, I just have to figure out why I could make vector and other classes
work in VC++ (which I'll look into tomorrow), and I'll be set.

> Half-Price Books almost always has it in stock.  Also, check on eBay at
> the ends and beginnings of semesters.

I also don't currently have the money for half price books.  In 2-3
weeks I might though.

> [1] _Design_Patterns_ by Gamma, Heim, Johnson, and Vlissides.  If you
>     don't have this book, borrow it from a library.  This book will keep
>     you from shooting yourself during the transition from imperative or
>     functional code to OO code.  If you can't get it easily, and don't
>     have it, let me know.

I'll look for it in the library as soon as I can.

--
Joshua D. Boyd