[geeks] New Geekmobile!

Tom Borton tborton at usa.net
Wed Sep 4 19:32:09 CDT 2002

> This brings me to my question.  Does anyone know anything about making
> touchscren stuff work under windows?  I've never done
> anything like this,
> and i'm not even sure where to start.  Can you make it work
> like a mouse,
> or do you really have to hack at stuff to get it working?
>
> Or better yet... Do any of you know of any apps that run
> under Other OSen,
> that can talk to this thing?  The Garmin protocol is fully
> documented, and
> it can also speak NMEA.

Depends on the touch screen, but most of them I've worked with have connected
to an RS-232 or PS/2 mouse port and acted like a normal mouse.  The problem
you'll run into is that the stock drivers on other OSen won't include the
calibration utilities, but even 4 years ago I had one briefly hooked to a
Linux box with gpm and X without major problems.  I can't believe it's gotten
anything but better since then.

I have no idea about Garmin, though.

Tom

"The odds are good but the goods are odd."
    -- anon. woman on dating engineers