[geeks] Linux 2.5

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Oct 31 10:08:53 CST 2002

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 05:02:53PM +0100, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 10:24:09AM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> > For the most part, I'm over ISA now,
> I am over PeeCees now. Swaped my last PeeCee (AMD K6-2 300) for a
> HP9000 E55 and a HP9000 7?? (I think it is a 720) yesterday.
> Ohh, I still have a PS/2-80. But this box gets dispense. It is
> not quite a typical PeeCee from .tw. ;-)

I'm not sure when I'll ever be completely free of PCs.  I have plans to
soon replace the PC fileserver with a Sun.  That is held up by lack of
time, and a few missing adapters.

And I'd love to make a mac or sgi my main machine.

But in this day and age, it is difficult to make a living without x86.
I mean, look at Dave M.  He has even hah to break down on occasion and
use Windows.  Until things change more, I expect I'll probably feel the
need to keep a PC running linux and perhaps Windows in VMWare local for
testing things if I have much hope of being able to make them for sale.

> > but I don't have a lot of spare PCI NICs yet,
> Most of my machines have build in Ethernet, but I prefere FDDI... ;-)

Yeah, I have most of the stuff to start rolling out FDDI.  I'm just
hamstrung by lack of cabling and time (and the lack of cabling due to
the lack of time mainly).

> > and high quality PCI sound cards still are kinda pricey,
> > where as I have a pair of rather nice ISA sound cards I'd
> > like to be able to keep using a while longer.

> That is OK. E.g. I use PeeCee PCI SCSI and ISA multiserial cards
> in my Alphas.

See, yet another reason to keep one of my nice ISA sound cards on hand.
So that I can drop it in a reasonable machine for sound support.  Maybe
make a FLAC server out of an alpha or something.

--
Joshua D. Boyd