[geeks] Linux 2.5

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 30 17:26:48 CST 2002

On Wednesday 30 October 2002 9:39 pm, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> I've known people to have trouble with reiserfs

I've heard of significant problems with reiserfs, but never experienced
any. I personally believe those problems were due to a "bad" release of
reiserfs.

I did quite a bit of testing of reiserfs before using it on my web cache
cluster, and it's now been in production for 6 months with never a
glitch (or not a filesystem one).

> and xfs and jfs.  I

To be honest, you'll probably find people who've had problems with every
filesystem if you hunt hard enough.

> don't really know many people who've done major work with ext3fs

Well it's not major, but a 50k messages per day mail relay isn't minor
either.

> I keep meaning to have spare machines for playing with various

That's why I like vmware so much ... I've got around 1/2 dozen virtual
machines I use regularly at work; without airconditioning, it isn't
wise to have that many real machines (the office is hot enough as it
is).