Taxes Was: [geeks] Ping...

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Tue Oct 29 15:22:15 CST 2002

Andrew Weiss wrote:

> I think I'd start at people who make more than 200K by themselves a year...
> and people who make over a mil a year should be hit even harder.  My
> solution is a flat tax with no ability to deduct or skip out of paying taxes
> (especially for corporations).  Better yet... let the IRS compute the tax
> and nobody has to file because they took the right amount the first time.
>
> Andrew

I vaguely remember a proposal of a 10% income tax, with NO loopholes
(there might have been a minimum salary when you wouldn't have to pay,
don't recall) that supposedly would get the government out of debt in
like 10 years or so. I think that idea died, but I still think it's a
good idea.

Another idea I've heard is a 25% national sales tax on NEW products. The
idea being that you could decide on if you wanted to buy something new
or used, and with the used products becoming much cheaper, it would
promote things being used to their fullest potential. I'm not sure if I
like this idea or not.

--
-Mike