[geeks] root equivalent user

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri Oct 25 14:42:26 CDT 2002

[ On Friday, October 25, 2002 at 13:20:42 (-0500), Mike Hebel wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] root equivalent user
>
> Then as Kurt so kindly stated - point them in the right direction.  I
> personally _know_ I don't know enough which is why I ask for help on
> things occasionally.  People who don't know need not be told they are
> wrong - they already know that probability.  It is far better to tell
> someone "Do this instead for these reasons." and _then_ explain why what
> they want to do won't work than just telling them "You're wrong.  Don't
> do it that way!"

If you remember I never responded to the original question -- I responed
only the bad answers.

By the time I responded the correct answer (in the form of a leading
question) had already been posed by at least two people.

> > Perhaps you don't understand just how critical good systems security is
> > in _all_ cases where _any_ level of security is necessary.  I would
> > recommend that anyone wondering what I'm talking about read and _re-read_
> > Bruce Schneier's "Secrets & Lies", cover-to-cover, twice at least.
>
> Security scales with th size/complexity of the network Greg.

No, not in the examples we're talking about here.

Please actually read the book referenced above.  Security in a digital
world is a whole different critter.  In the digital realm if you forget
to do up your fly you'll just as likely get your balls ripped right out
before you know what happened as be giggled at.

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>