[geeks] I really don't get it ...

James james at jdfogg.com
Tue Oct 22 08:41:52 CDT 2002

At 09:18 AM 10/22/02 +0200, you wrote:
>I really don't get it. At what point in time
>did "D J's" become considered as celebrities
>and artists.
>
>Maybe it's just me, but I find it very difficult to
>attribute any sort of credit to a person who
>puts a record on a turntable and turns the
>volume up,or does other simple manipulations
>to it. I mean... it is not their record.
>They are just playing it.

I would agree that DJ's are usually the bottom of the barrel in skills and
livestyle. They are also convinced of their importance in your life.

I would, however, make one exception: The DJ's of WBCN in Boston during the
70's and 80's. Charles Laquidara (spelling?), The Big Mattress show, Dwayne
Glasscock (an alter ego), the whole crew. They were a freaking riot and
they were cool. They also really understood rock and roll and THEY
developed the playlists. One clue that they  were great was that many bands
list them in the credits on albums and some of the crew are now producers
for indy labels.

Now, WBCN is a Clear Channel Clusterfug and they booted the old guard. They
even don't bother with music for morning drive, its Howard Stern (yuch).