[geeks] I really don't get it ...

Will Mc Donald wmcdonald at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 22 02:35:42 CDT 2002

From: "William S." <wstan at xs4all.nl>

> I really don't get it. At what point in time
> did "D J's" become considered as celebrities
> and artists.

Sometime in the mid-ninties I'd say. When dance music became more
predominant.

> Is this a sign of me being a grumpy-old-man?

Yes. :)

I believe "nyeeehhhhh" is the appropraiate noise to make whilst sneering at
the young people. You can count me in on that too.

> I am not sure, I think even when I was a young teen I would have
> been put off by it.

Depends on your character really. If (as is likely given your being on this
list) you were more of an idividualist than the norm when you were young then
there's a good chance you might dismiss the DJ phenomenon out of hand. On the
other hand, most teenagers don't want to stand out from all their peers.

FWIW there's a bit of a backlash in the UK press against superclubs and
stupidly overpaid DJs.

> Other "professions" requiring __less__ talent than a DJ.
>
> * I can't think of one. *

Unix sysadmin? Sitting scratching your arse all day waiting for things to
break? ;)

Will.