[geeks] I really don't get it ...

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Oct 22 02:33:13 CDT 2002

On Tuesday, October 22, 2002, at 03:18 AM, William S. wrote:
> I really don't get it. At what point in time
> did "D J's" become considered as celebrities
> and artists.
>
> Maybe it's just me, but I find it very difficult to
> attribute any sort of credit to a person who
> puts a record on a turntable and turns the
> volume up,or does other simple manipulations
> to it. I mean... it is not their record.
> They are just playing it.
....  [good rant snipped]

   I stand in agreement...I have a big problem with this as well.  I
think there's a *little* skill involved, with stuff like beat matching,
"reading" the crowd (to see what sort of mood they're in) to select an
appropriate piece of music for the moment, etc...But the whole DJ
glorification thing is just plain silly to me.

   There are a couple of cases in which these DJs are the also actual
musicians, and often spin their own stuff (John Digweed comes to mind)
but these folks seem to be the very rare exception to the rule.

       -Dave

St. Petersburg, FL       reboot and upgrade."    -Jonathan Patschke