[geeks] Finding out who owns an 866 number?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 13 21:14:34 CDT 2002

Somebody may be getting a big phone bill...

No, wait:
http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/phonelocation.asp?number=866&submit1=Process

It *is* toll-free, guess they are just morons...

Odd - I once had a woman call my office phone and ramble on (with great
passion) for almost 5 minutes in a tounge I couldn't even identify...

Be aware though, they could route your toll-free call to a toll call
(not clear how, but IIRC this was a problem, esp. with toll-free
numbers that resolve to actual numbers in other jurisdictions (like
some island nations off the coast of the US))

Lionel

--- Leo Green <leo at nurgle.net> wrote:
> This strange quandary isnt exactly computer related, but we're all
> geeks here, and someone might know the answer here.
>
> I've been getting these strange voicemail messages, asking me to call
> some 866 number. No company identification is left on these messages.
>
> I call it, and I just immidately get placed on hold.  No company
> identification, no NOTHING.
>
> I'd like to find out who owns this number and see if I can distribute
> appropriate larts to them, but I can't figure out who owns it.
>
> If you want the actual number, contact me off-list and i'll give it.

=====
Lionel