[geeks] smalltalk is ideal for building front-ends to back-end systems!

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Sat Nov 30 17:09:34 CST 2002

[ On Saturday, November 30, 2002 at 15:34:25 (-0500), Joshua D Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Oh my god...
>

> > For example ST/X (www.except.de) is now 100% free, including for
> > commercial use.  I believe it's even freely redistributable, meaning you
> > can hand out copies of it along with your application(s).
>
> Are you sure that is the right URL?  The only link on the page I get is
> an email address.

no, it's not -- typos'r'us -- cut&paste might help, but then again so
would a simple google on your part have found the right place.... :-)
The "I'm lucky" button goes to approximately the right place with just
the string "ST/X".

	http://www.exept.de/

> I'm now looking more closely at Visua Age's web site (based on having
> like Visual Age for Java years ago).

while there's lots of "support" for VisualAge Smalltalk amongst the same
types of people who always support IBM for all the wrong reasons, it
seems among smalltalk people that ST/X is the better implementation (and
they support more Unix platforms too it seems).

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>