[geeks] DaveM: Crays up?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Nov 25 13:38:26 CST 2002

On Monday, November 25, 2002, at 02:10 PM, Eric Dittman wrote:
>>    What??  Why would they not have?  There were new VAX models
>> introduced after that if I remember correctly, and VAX is a very big
>> FORTRAN platform.
>
> There were new VAX models introduced after FORTRAN 90, but
> most of the drive was migrate to Alpha for extra speed.  Most
> applications that stayed on the VAX would have been legacy,
> with new development on Alpha.  With the Alpha supporting
> F77 and the common VAX extensions, migrating to Alpha along
> with migrating to F90 would have made more sense, since only
> applications that relied on Unibus or QBUS peripherals would
> be unable to migrate to Alpha.

   I was largely out of the DEC world when they were pushing people to
Alphas (I took a hiatus of sorts from the DEC world between [about] the
time VMS 5.1 came out and 3-4 years ago) so I never saw any of this.
This is most disturbing.

> I don't necessarily agree with the decision, but then again
> I'm not a suit trying to cut VMS off at the knees (not to
> name names {GQ Palmer}) to kiss Gate's ass.

   Ahh yes, listen to other CEOs instead of your customer base.  Way to
go, GQ.
Fucking suits.

      -Dave