[geeks] DaveM: Crays up?

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Mon Nov 25 13:10:09 CST 2002

> >> Which version of Fortran?
> >
> > I know the Alpha is 77 and 90, but I'll have to check whether
> > the VAX version was ever updated to 90.
>
>    What??  Why would they not have?  There were new VAX models
> introduced after that if I remember correctly, and VAX is a very big
> FORTRAN platform.

There were new VAX models introduced after FORTRAN 90, but
most of the drive was migrate to Alpha for extra speed.  Most
applications that stayed on the VAX would have been legacy,
with new development on Alpha.  With the Alpha supporting
F77 and the common VAX extensions, migrating to Alpha along
with migrating to F90 would have made more sense, since only
applications that relied on Unibus or QBUS peripherals would
be unable to migrate to Alpha.

I don't necessarily agree with the decision, but then again
I'm not a suit trying to cut VMS off at the knees (not to
name names {GQ Palmer}) to kiss Gate's ass.

BTW, I checked and Alpha FORTRAN is 77/90/95.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net