[geeks] DaveM: Crays up?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Nov 24 14:06:50 CST 2002

On Sunday, November 24, 2002, at 04:06 AM, William S. wrote:
> Assuming you were to have your Cray(s) up and
> running. Would it be "Nifty" to offer your
> machine time to companies, schools, individuals
> to do work and maybe charge for this?
> I don't know how you would set it up and
> determine a fee structure but it would
> at least justify keeping up the power
> on a 24/7.

   Timesharing on supercomputers is common, and their OSs have very
capable resource accounting capabilities built in...you bill by the CPU
second and perhaps by storage used...that's old hat.  The trouble would
be when Cray finds out that I'm making money with it...then I'll start
getting phone calls from their lawyers wanting to know when I bought
the Unicos license.

   I would like to do it commercially eventually, but only when I can
afford to buy the OS license, which costs about $10K.  By then I'll
probably have a faster machine like a T90 or something, though...The
J90 is plenty fast by today's standards (200MFLOPS per processor,
sustained, at 64-bit precision) but by the time I get around to doing
this, it'll probably be able to be beaten by the latest IBM POWER and
perhaps MIPS processors.

> Is there such thing as a "shell" on a Cray
> and a "shell account" being an option?

   Modern Crays run Unicos, a SysV-based UNIX operating system.  You log
into it and get a UNIX shell prompt.  It's every bit the same as a
"normal" average-speed (not particularly fast) UNIX system, except when
you copy files it's damn-near instantaneous, and when you run a program
which is compiled to use vector instructions it takes off with stupid
amounts of speed.

> If one were to set up a "Cluster" of boxes
> and have them available for work, what would
> be the optimal hardware and OS?
>
> I would say VAXen and OpenVMS (just for the coolness).

   Well, and the reliability, and the clustering capabilities.  People
whose opinions I value tell me that Linux is decent for low-latency
clustering (well, for varying definitions of "clustering") so that
might be an option as well, though I can't speak from experience there.

           -Dave