[geeks] DaveM: Crays up?

William S. wstan at xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 24 02:56:35 CST 2002

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 12:04:53AM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> Hey, do you have your Crays up since moving?  I was just reading about a
> library called Blitz.  It's a C++ library, which along with the normal
> compilers like KAI, intel, gcc, etc, it also supports Cray's 3.0.0.0 C++
> compiler, and claims to deliver fortran like speeds for vector math.  It
> would be interesting to know if they are telling the truth.
>
> It's URL is http://oonumerics.org/blitz/
>
> Also, have you ever looking into how well the J90s deal with small
> matrices (meaning 4x4 and 4x1) compared to newish Suns?  I use matrices

Just curious if you can give me an example of a small
matrix and why you might encounter them in your work more than
larger ones. Is a matrix the same as an array? Sorry
if the question seems stupid. I am on a slow learning path
to Fortran (and maybe Java). I even downloaded the
documentation for "VAX Macro" since it might be a proper
thing to learn about when I get my VAXen up and actually
doing something.

--
Bill
Amsterdam, NL