[geeks] i think i'm feeling sick....

Mike Hebel nimitz at speakeasy.net
Sat Nov 23 23:14:57 CST 2002

vance at neurotica.com wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, Chris Hedemark wrote:
>

> >On Saturday, November 23, 2002, at 03:43 PM, Steven Hill wrote:
> >

> >>Flood ping him, from multiple locations...
> >>
> >>You could even call it "monitoring" his connection.
> >
> >We prefer to call it "redundant quality of service monitoring".
>

> Could you conceivably bill him for the service?

"Dear $SPAMMER,

Thanks to a lottery of random selection you have been given a gift of
free network diagnostics on any site you operate and any site you choose
to operate in the future!

This is a priceless gift that will enhance you experience on the
internet and ensure complete verification of reliability of your network
connection!  In short - you will be made aware for the rest of your
site's existence as to it's network status.  You'll always know when
your network is running.  Who could ask for more?

The solution is very simple.  So simple in fact that it can be described
in a few shoret sentences:

1) Your network will be repeatedly "pinged" to check it's network status.

2) With each ping you will receive a confirmation e-mail of that ping
action and it's results along with several redundant copies of the
e-mail to ensure reliable notification.

It's as simple as that!

Your service will begin on $DATE at $TIME and will continue until you
retire your business and its servers.  Enjoy!

Sincerely,

Mufasa Mojimbo
Nigeria

P.S.: If you like this gift I would plead with you for some assistance
transferring some funds to help us out."

----

Wow, after writing that I suddenly feel dirty...

Mike Hebel