[geeks] POWER5!!!!

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Thu Nov 21 10:43:21 CST 2002

> > > Gosh. He has some of the same weapons the US does and uses them
> > > in war. That must be a first.  It's not like the US has ever used
> > > weapons of mass destruction against civilians.
> >
> > Hiroshima and Nagasaki did have military targets.
>
> Nagasaki was one of the largest military shipyard/drydock complexes at the
> time, but I don't believe that makes it right.

Given that one of Japan's most necessary class of weapons
in the war was warships, taking out one of their largest
shipyards made sense.

If Japan hadn't surrendered the cost in American lives
in an invasion of Japan would have been horrendous.

> > > We didn't invade Pakistan when they tested their first nuke.
> >
> > No, we didn't, but Pakistan was driven to develop nukes to
> > counter India.  We did discuss the issue diplomatically.
>
> But India's first successful nuclear test was some time in the mid 1970's.

That's true, but India also made promises to not use nukes
unless nuked first, as did Pakistan.

Now, about North Korea...  I think they'd go ahead and use
them if they had them.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net