[geeks] Sun is developing a new LINUX desktop!!

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 10 06:37:38 CST 2002

On Sunday 10 November 2002 7:03 am, Jonathan C Patschke wrote:
> I fail to see what would drive Sun to make Solaris look more like
> Linux, so that nonportable Linux/x86 code[1] might Just Work on
> Solaris,

There's a lot of code being written for Linux these days. 90% of it is
dross, but 10% is worth having. A few tweaks to make compiling Linux
code easier doesn't sound too bad to me.

> at the expense of irritating all the dedicated Solaris users
> and breaking binary compatibility.

Who says they're going to do that ? Looking at LSB, it would seem that
it's possible to get to 90% compliance just by adding a few libraries
and a few functions to libc.

Engineer: "Lets add a few things to Solaris to make it a bit more
           LSB-like so Linux code compiles easier".
Marketing type: "We're making Solaris fully LSB-complient."