[geeks] Sun is developing a new LINUX desktop!!

Jonathan C Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Nov 10 01:03:16 CST 2002

On Sunday, November 10, 2002, at 12:44 AM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Very interesting.  Especially the bit about future solaris being LSB
> compliant.  Any solaris people want to comment on that one?

I'd have to agree with the reader's sentiment expressed in the article.
  Solaris is Solaris, -not- Sun Linux.  Let's hope it stays that way.
Or, to paraphrase the legendary words of Dennis Ritchie, "If you want
Linux, you know where to find it."

I fail to see what would drive Sun to make Solaris look more like
Linux, so that nonportable Linux/x86 code[1] might Just Work on
Solaris, at the expense of irritating all the dedicated Solaris users
and breaking binary compatibility.  I'm willing to dismiss this
silliness as rumor, unless the same people behind Sun's website
redesign have taken over SunSoft.

[1] And scripts, it seems.  Quoting from the "Standard Shell" section:
"The two exceptions to POSIX (concerning . and non-readable files, and
argv[0]) in this section are to accommodate bash."  Great, let's just
step around POSIX and SUS so that no one has to take the time to clean
up after GNU.
--
Jonathan C. Patschke
Celestrion Information Systems