[geeks] Back to the land of the big PX

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Fri Nov 8 01:42:22 CST 2002

All,

Well after 2 years in Ireland I've decided to go back to the states.
Honestly the whole point of coming here to Ireland was to improve my
quality of life, and for the first year that was definitely the case.
But since around April things have just been going steadily downhill
'til yesterday finally I'd had enough. Between that and my moms
deteriorating health I'm just going to give in to the family pressure
and head back. Honestly, I don't have the energy for anythign else at
this point.

I'm giving my landlady notice and I'll be out of here just before
christmas.

At this pointI have no clue where in the states I'll end up. At first
I'm going to visit with my mom, and go see some friends I havent seen
since moving to calfiornia 3+ years ago but after that I'm open to
pretty much anywhere.

What I'm really looking for are a relatively low cost of living, a
fairly libretarian attitude towards life, relatively low taxes and
insurance rates (they tend to go together) and a reasonable job
situation.

There's still a good bit of contract work available, or at least I've
got recruiters emailing me about it all the time, but it's mostly in the
standard areas, i.e. new york, the valley, the 128 loop etc... And I'm
not sure I want to end up round there. Cost of living and stress are too
high.

I was thinking more along the lines of the southeast to mid-atlantic
states. The moneys not great there, especially in perm jobs, but peoples
attitudes seem to be better, and they seem to get more joy out of life.

Theres always contract work in the DC area, but the housing costs are
FAR too high, an it'd be difficult for me to work on defense related
contracts at this point having dual citizenship and recently having
resided in a foreign nation. Northern VA same thing. Maybe the triangle
or Savannah? Actually I think Savannah would be ideal for me if I could
find any work there. I just really like the whole feel of the place.

I've also got a friend trying to convince me to go to Jersey, but I fail
to see the charms of the garden state. The highest insurance rates in
the country, third highest taxes, fourth highest crime etc... Etc... But
it is close to New York without actually being there, and it is my best
friend.

Anyway I'm totally open to suggestions.

Chris