[geeks] Misuse of Java

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Nov 6 19:55:59 CST 2002

[ On Thursday, November 7, 2002 at 01:45:25 (+0000), David Cantrell wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Misuse of Java
>
> The number of bad C programs is overwhelming.  C is therefore an ideal trap
> for bad programming.

No disagreement there!

(I'm still trying to find time to try converting some significant chunk
of my own C code to Cyclone to see how well it can force better and
safer programming while still keeping much of the syntax and style of C.)

>  You know why it's an ideal trap for bad programming?
> Because programmers are people, and 90% of people are shit.  The fact that
> you find it hard to program well in $language does not make $language shit.
> It means that you have more to learn.  Think of it as an opportunity.

That just doesn't follow.  Good computer languages make it easier for
even beginners to write good computer programs while not hindering
expert programmers from writing good computer programs too.  Truly great
languages make it possible for expert programmers to write truly great
programs, hopefully while not being too intimidating for beginners.  I
only know one language that really fits the latter category though:
Smalltalk.

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>