[geeks] Misuse of Java

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Nov 6 19:45:25 CST 2002

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 08:04:41PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> _ALL_ of the really very skilled Perl programmers who I know quite well
> personally (and I know quite a few of them) are also no different than
> any of the other Perl programmers I've claimed quite often fallen trap
> to encouraging bad programming practices at inopportune times and for
> all the wrong reasons.

Yeah, whatever.  I might try parsing that sentence after I've had some
sleep.

>                         It's the nature of the beast.  These bad
> practices are all too often considered to be "cool", even (and sometimes
> especially) by the most expert.

There's things I consider quite nifty but which I still don't consider to
be good programming and I would consequently avoid them in anything which
would need to be maintained.  Nothing wrong with that.

> Somply put Perl is an ideal trap for bad programming.  While it's no
> doubt easy for you to point to a few examples of good clean Perl
> programs the number of examples of bad Perl programs is overwhelming.

The number of bad C programs is overwhelming.  C is therefore an ideal trap
for bad programming.  You know why it's an ideal trap for bad programming?
Because programmers are people, and 90% of people are shit.  The fact that
you find it hard to program well in $language does not make $language shit.
It means that you have more to learn.  Think of it as an opportunity.

--
David Cantrell