[geeks] Apple vs. Sun

Shawn Wallbridge swallbridge at franticfilms.com
Wed Nov 6 17:48:52 CST 2002

Kurt Huhn wrote:

>Shawn Wallbridge <swallbridge at franticfilms.com> wrote:
>

>>The _little_ benchmarking I did wasn't very scientific, but an SM41
>>(running Debian) was about 6x slower than a PPro 200 (running Debian)
>>in Povray. That doesn't really mean anything because we are talking
>>32bit SPARC vs a P6. I might try to get Povray working on my U30
>>(250MHz), Octane (175MHz), and a PC (depends, 300MHz up to 2x1500MHz)
>>this week and really test them to see what is faster.
>>

>FWIW: the benchmarking I did on x86 vs MIPS was an 800Mhz PIII vs a
>195Mhz R10k.  It wasn't scientific either - mostly just timed renders of
>the [in]famous box with spheres in it using BMRT.  In tests without
>caustics and irradiance, the Octane held it's own - only about 15%
>slower than the Dell laptop.  However, add caustics and irradiance, and
>the laptop finished renders about 500% faster.

Wow, that's impressive. Now I really want to benchmark my machines. I
wonder how the POWER2 RS/6000 would perform.

I might add in my O2 as well. But I will have to reinstall IRIX onto a
larger drive (I have a 2GB drive and it is REALLY full). Acutally it is
funny, right now my O2 only has 2x it's memory for HD space. I wonder if
I could just DD from one drive to another (2GB to 9GB).

shawn