[geeks] Apple vs. Sun

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Wed Nov 6 17:28:46 CST 2002

Shawn Wallbridge <swallbridge at franticfilms.com> wrote:
> The _little_ benchmarking I did wasn't very scientific, but an SM41
> (running Debian) was about 6x slower than a PPro 200 (running Debian)
> in Povray. That doesn't really mean anything because we are talking
> 32bit SPARC vs a P6. I might try to get Povray working on my U30
> (250MHz), Octane (175MHz), and a PC (depends, 300MHz up to 2x1500MHz)
> this week and really test them to see what is faster.

FWIW: the benchmarking I did on x86 vs MIPS was an 800Mhz PIII vs a
195Mhz R10k.  It wasn't scientific either - mostly just timed renders of
the [in]famous box with spheres in it using BMRT.  In tests without
caustics and irradiance, the Octane held it's own - only about 15%
slower than the Dell laptop.  However, add caustics and irradiance, and
the laptop finished renders about 500% faster.

--
Kurt                "I remember that I've got a solid base of worms and
kurt at k-huhn.com      ant eggs.  I puke like a hero all night long."