[geeks] FDDI

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Nov 5 18:10:59 CST 2002

On Tuesday, November 5, 2002, at 07:05 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>>> You could always help contribute to the cause of getting an open SMT
>>> implementation written,
>>
>>   Linux has a software SMT implementation in its source tree, intended
>> for use with certain [very nice] SysKonnect PCI FDDI cards.  It would
>> only need to be ported.
>
> Really?!?  I didn't know that.  I thought that SysKonnect's cards, like
> Digital's, had hardware SMT.

   SysKonnect made (and still make) a *lot* of different FDDI cards, for
many different buses.  They went through several different internal
architectures over the years.

>   So, err, why hasn't it been ported yet?  I
> keep hearing people complain about how hard it is too write from
> scratch...

   Well, I was surprised when I heard about it...it's probably just an
issue of not many people knowing about it.

> I wonder if that would be within my skill level...

   Only one way to find out...

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                  "Mmmm, big."
St. Petersburg, FL                -Den