[geeks] FDDI

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Nov 5 17:58:11 CST 2002

On Tuesday, November 5, 2002, at 06:52 PM, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
>> My understanding was that your ownly hope for non-solaris FDDI support
>> on a Sun is to use a PCI sun and a Digital DEFPA card.
>>
> Damn. That makes the switch almost useless for me. I only plan to run
> Solaris on two machines :-(

   No it's not.  Just either run Solaris for now or get PCI machines.
Ultra30s are super cheap these days.

> Ahh. I see. I guess I should have read more about FDDI before I bid on
> the switch.
>
> Anyone wanna buy a Cisco FDDI switch? ;-)

   It's not a switch, it's a concentrator...more like a hub than a
switch, although it doesn't come with the same "oh no, collisions!"
stigma that a non-switching ethernet hub would have, since FDDI doesn't
have collisions because it was well-designed in the first place.

   Metcalf was WRONG.

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                  "Mmmm, big."
St. Petersburg, FL                -Den