[geeks] Re: CF Dimmers

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at peecee.linuxweasel.com
Mon Nov 4 14:19:51 CST 2002

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 11:23:40AM -0600, Eric Dittman wrote:

> Are there any CF bulbs that work in lamps with dimmers?  All
> the ones I've seen said not to use them.

I've got a "100W" CF bulb in a lamp with a dimmer in the living room.
It works really well with the high-quality dimmer switch, but rather
poorly in the low-quality dimmer built in to the lamp.

We've got mostly CF bulbs everywhere in the house, and some of them
"warm up" a lot faster than others.  Our latest set of bulbs, from
"Commercial Electric", are by far the worst.  They start up at
something like a 10W equivalent, and take close to a minute to get up
to full light output.  They're also very "red" at start up.
   Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.
Please don't copy me on replies to the list.