[geeks] Massively parallel... cheap?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Mar 25 01:02:51 CST 2002

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 09:26:02PM -0800, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> On Sunday, March 24, 2002, at 01:20 , Sridhar the POWERful wrote:
>
> >But you can get entire IBM PC Server 704 systems for under $500.
>
> Ya know, a bunch of clustered 2x1GHz Mac G4's would be useful - if you
> code to the altivec engine on the chips, you can get some excellent
> performance.

If he can break the large matrix for the neural net into 4x4 ones, then
Altivec would definately usefull.  Are things like Altivec usefull when
working with that don't easily subdivide?

Note to self: Add neural networks and their optimization to the list of
things to research so I don't sound like an idiot.

By the way David, have you checked out http://www.generation5.org/ ?  They
might have some information usefull to you.

--
Joshua D. Boyd