[geeks] Re: rogue TLD's

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Sat Mar 23 17:54:39 CST 2002

[ On Saturday, March 23, 2002 at 16:44:01 (-0500), R. Lonstein wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: rogue TLD's (was Re: [geeks] Screw Verisign/NETSOL move   your .com .org .net now)
>
> Given the ICANN situation, it isn't far off. It isn't the technical
> limitation, it's the organizational limitation- people are accustomed
> to the NetSol root servers,

Excuse me!?!?!?!?!?!

Where oh where did you ever get that stupid idea?  It's just so plainly
wrong it's not funny at all.

There can literally only ever be one DNS "root" zone.  Period.  E.O.D.

You can add your own private top level zones to your own private
nameserver, but that's it.  Period.  E.O.D.

> ObLinks:
> http://www.alternic.org/
> http://www.opennic.unrated.net/
> http://www.open-rsc.org/

Ah, those idiots.  Ask someone half sane, like Richard Sexton for
example, about "one true root" (and don't forget to tell him I sent you
asking -- just so he doesn't give you the party line out of hand).

All AlterNIC have done is convince a bunch of people to all run the same
set of private tope level zones.  There's still only one root, and it's
still controlled by ICANN.  The key word in this dicussion is "rogue".
The result is not even remotely secure, and certainly not universal.

--
								Greg A. Woods