[geeks] Further info on Sol8 networking problem

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Fri Mar 22 12:31:24 CST 2002

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Bill Bradford wrote:

> > What parts do you like better?  UI?  Additional Features?

> Netgear has CLI + web interface.  Netgear has console port in
> case you roach the firmware; can use the console port for a modem
> dialup backup incase the WAN connection (cablemodem or DSL) dies.

> Its more of a "real router" than just a cheap flimsy web-based-interface
> NAT box.  You can get down and dirty with its settings via the CLI if you
> want, versus being restricted to the web interface on the Linksys.

Oooh,   I like CLI =)  That is nice.  The dialup is a nice feature too,
even if I wouldn't use it.

> Plus, you cant do ping/traceroute from behind the linksys boxes; they dont
> handle ICMP properly.  No problem at all with the netgear.

Hmmm... I think I've noticed that on occasion.  Good point.

> The MAJOR problem I had with Linksys was having to reboot the unit a couple
> of times a day.  I've never had to do this with the Netgear.

Wow.  Haven't had that experience at all... I wonder if the newer firmwares
have fixed it.

One thing I've noticed about linksys that could go in good or bad is that
their manuals say some things aren't possible that the appliance handles
perfectly fine.  I believe they mention that doing a DMZ host and port
forwarding won't work simultaneously, but I've got a friend who does it
all the time.  I do like that they keep on squeezing more out of the box...

But that Netgear does sound pretty sweet.  Of course, if I end up not
using my Linksys as a firewall, I'll probably put an IPX into service with
OpenBSD...

--Kurt