[geeks] Further info on Sol8 networking problem

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Fri Mar 22 12:21:58 CST 2002

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 01:17:58PM -0500, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> What parts do you like better?  UI?  Additional Features?

Netgear has CLI + web interface.  Netgear has console port in
case you roach the firmware; can use the console port for a modem
dialup backup incase the WAN connection (cablemodem or DSL) dies.

Its more of a "real router" than just a cheap flimsy web-based-interface
NAT box.  You can get down and dirty with its settings via the CLI if you
want, versus being restricted to the web interface on the Linksys.

Plus, you cant do ping/traceroute from behind the linksys boxes; they dont
handle ICMP properly.  No problem at all with the netgear.

The MAJOR problem I had with Linksys was having to reboot the unit a couple
of times a day.  I've never had to do this with the Netgear.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net