[geeks] perl question

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Thu Mar 21 10:37:09 CST 2002

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 10:30:28AM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Okay.  I've got Perl 5.6.1 installed.  However, I'm trying to compile
> mod_perl as a DSO, and it tells me this:
>
> ************* ERROR *************
>
>    *) Rebuild Perl without malloc pollution (Configure -Ubincompat5005)
>
> ************* ERROR *************
>
> Question is, can I recompile Perl with the -Ubincompat5005 and *not* lose
> all the modules that I've already installed?

"It depends".

Most modules don't use any external libraries, so will be OK.  Those which
do use external C libraries may break.  However, the majority of such
modules, at least on my system, are ones which are part of the standard
perl distribution anyway, so they should get re-built for you along with
perl itself.

--
Grand Inquisitor Reverend David Cantrell | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

   I hear you asking yourselves "why?".  Hurd will be out in a
   year ...
        -- Linus Torvalds, in <1991Oct5.054106.4647 at klaava.Helsinki.FI>