[geeks] Palm Pilot "rescue"

Dave Kimmel criscokid at v-wave.com
Mon Mar 18 16:04:45 CST 2002

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> I have the Auterra.  I chose because it cost less than other tools,
> seems to be a very mature product, and all software upgrades and
> database additions are free (at least at present).

>From what I've read on their site, it looks like a great product.  I've
also looked at the OBD chips at www.elmelectronics.com.  I think their
latest one (the ELM323?) can talk to Chrysler vehicles.  This has its own
set of advantages and disadvantages.

> Since I tend to tweak my vehicles on a regular basis it helps me find
> stuff like misfires, rich fuel conditions, failed O2 sensors, etc.
>
> If you like to wrench your own vehicle, I highly recommend it.

I haven't done enough to know if I like it or not, although I didn't mind
the bit of time I spent trying to diagnose a minor annoyance (rear window
washer didn't work) on my old car.  I did put a new stereo in, but I got
more enjoyment from listening to the stereo than I did getting it in
there.  It wasn't hard, it was just tedious, that's all.

At the very least, I figure a scan tool will help give me a better idea of
how my car works, and I'd probably buy one on that basis.  On the other
hand, the geek factor alone is justification enough.

-- Dave Kimmel
   criscokid at v-wave.com