[geeks] Re: [rescue] FS: Lucent 802.11b AP/gateway and PCMCIA card

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Mon Mar 18 05:45:19 CST 2002

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 06:40:26AM -0800, Michael Schiller wrote:
> While on the topic of wireless, my girlfriend's kid brother has a laptop with
> win2k installed on it. The laptop is provided to him by his school, and he doesn't
> have admin access to it. It has a wireless 802.11b pcmcia card in it, and when at
> school he's connected via that to the school's network.
>
> Is there a way (buy purchasing an access point?) that I can give him access to my
> network without changing settings in his machine? Do I need to know what IP range
> his card is looking for? (I've never used any of the wireless stuff, and don't
> really know anything about them). Any help would be appreciated.

Depends.  If it's using DHCP for everything, and it's not using encryption/
authentication of any form (ie, it's not using WEP) then you should just be
able to plug in an AP, setup DHCP, turn on the notebook and it should
work.

You might also want to look into things like proxy server settings to
confirm that you've got permissions to be able to change them if they are
being used.

  Scott.