[geeks] Re: [rescue] FS: Lucent 802.11b AP/gateway and PCMCIA card

Michael Schiller schiller at zaphod.agrijag.com
Mon Mar 18 08:40:26 CST 2002

Bill Bradford wrote:

> I've got a Lucent/Orinoco RG-1000 802.11b access point (also serves as a
> NAT gateway, if you wish; I just use it as a straight 802.11<->Ethernet
> bridge) and a new WaveLAN (used long enough to test and upgrade to latest
> firmware) "Silver" 802.11b PCMCIA wireless ethernet card for sale.

While on the topic of wireless, my girlfriend's kid brother has a laptop with
win2k installed on it. The laptop is provided to him by his school, and he doesn't
have admin access to it. It has a wireless 802.11b pcmcia card in it, and when at
school he's connected via that to the school's network.

Is there a way (buy purchasing an access point?) that I can give him access to my
network without changing settings in his machine? Do I need to know what IP range
his card is looking for? (I've never used any of the wireless stuff, and don't
really know anything about them). Any help would be appreciated.
--
-Mike