[geeks] Help with MCSE

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sun Mar 17 12:56:50 CST 2002

On Saturday, March 16, 2002, at 12:47 PM, alex j avriette wrote:

>> Such people should not be allowed to teach network fundamentals.
>
> no, they should not.
>
>>> http://polaris.umuc.edu/~lgibbons/cmit366/htmdocs/answersqmf4051.htm
>>
>> Hrm... can't open any of the links on that page...
>
> hmmm... it is possible these are only served inside umuc.
>
>> 'tis not hard using Group Policy.  Enable the setting "Restrict the
>> user
>> from entering author mode" under "$GroupPolicyName\User
>> Configuration\Administrative Templates\Microsoft Management Console".
>> The setting "Restirct users to the explicitly permitted list of
>> snap-ins" used in conjunction with the "Restricted/Permitted snap-ins"
>> subtree you can meed the optional requirements.
>>
>> The kicker is to have a sufficiently well-organized AD structure to
>> make
>> permission inheritance in the AD organizational units (OUs for short)
>> easy.
>
> eep! people DO know that stuff?!!

I've never even touched an actual AD installation and I know most of my
way around a virtual AD install from passing the 70-240 upgrade MCSE
exam from NT 4.0.  You just have to have a grasp on acronyms and EXACTLY
what they mean as well as understanding the structure of AD and what it
does... the forests, trees, hierarchy... (schemas, RIDmaster, etc.)

It's a neat concept that is by no means new.  Novell had this stuff and
so did NetInfo for quite a while.  It's just that MS has the marketing
machine to force a deployment.  NetInfo docs suck... and the internal
structure is a bit bolloxed (sp?)..NDS is quite successful.

the MMC is actually a great tool (one of few from MS) because it is so
darn customizable... MS has finally decided that the front-end to
everything should be handled from one very configurable tool instead of
many different software managers.

Andrew