[geeks] Help with MCSE

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Sun Mar 17 11:48:44 CST 2002

On Sat, 2002-03-16 at 21:47, alex j avriette wrote:
> > You mean it *worked*?!! :)
>
> Erm, no. I dont have any filthy windows machines to test it on here.
> That may change in the nearish future though I guess. :-7

I guess I'll have to play with it myself then.

> >> think that would work? any other suggestions?
> >
> > As long as it's a PII and has at least 256MB RAM it'll be fine.
>
> Hm. Okay, this brings up a couple questions. I was thinking emachine,
> which is a celeron ghz give or take. Problem is, they go for $300. The
> pII machines ebay all seem to go for in the neighborhood of $200.

Ya, you noticed the same thing I did - new PCs are so damn cheap
sometimes it's not worth dicking around with fixing or aquiring old
ones.

You must be looking in different places than I.  I've been picking up
350MHz - 400MHz PIIs for $70.  Granted they only have 64MB of RAM, but
that's cheap, and I've already got a bunch laying around :)

> This seems ridiculous. Any ideas how I can put together a small lan of
> filthy windows machines on the cheap? I mean ideally, it would seem to
> me that for $500 give or take, I could pull together 3 or 4 windows
> clients and maybe a faster p3 or celeron class machine to be her
> primary machine.
>
> Virtual PC was suggested (I've got a bunch of macs), but I have had very
> poor results with it in the past.

It's either that or VMware, if you can't bring yourself to purchase some
PCs.

--

Phil