[geeks] Solaris 8 partitioning

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Mar 14 12:23:34 CST 2002

OK, I still futzing around with how to partition up the drives on my Sun
Ultra1.  It has a 2.1gig Barracuda on an SCA interface (Fast Wide SCSI2 I
believe), and a 4.3gig Barracuda on fast-scsi2 (the bay meant for the CDROM).
The machine has 128megs of ram.

The machine is to be a mail server, mud server, web server, cvs server, all
pretty low volume.  So, I plan to be running apache, cmucl, postgres, cvs,
etc.

So, here is my current plan:
/ 100megs on the 2.1gig drive
swap 384 megs on the 2.1gig drive
/var 100megs on the 2.1gig drive
/usr 1.5gigs on the 2.1 gig drive
/tmp 1gig on the 4.3 gig drive
/var/mail 200 megs on the 4.3gig drive
/home 2.8gigs on the 4.3gig drive.

I'm planning for /usr/src and /usr/local/src to be symlinks into /home
somewhere.  Likewise, the web pages and postgres files will be moved to /home
somewhere.  So, do these proportions look good to people?  This is the first
time that I won't be doing a machine with a large / partition and a /export
NFS mount, so I don't really know what I want here.

Also, looking do people recommend qmail or sendmail?  I have no experience
handling incoming email prior to this.

--
Joshua D. Boyd