[geeks] revision control

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Mar 13 02:53:37 CST 2002

[ On , March 12, 2002 at 22:22:33 (-0800), Gregory Leblanc wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] revision control
>
> Heh, ok...  It's totally inconvenient to set it up securely (I know how
> to do ssh tunneling, it's a pain).

What's with the tunneling!?!?!?!?  JUST USE SSH!  "export CVS_RSH=ssh"!

>  There's no way of locking things so
> that you can have multiple distributed servers, not even if some of them
> are in "read-only" mode.

What you're looking for is a separate program called CVSup.

>  The triggers for allowing you to check code at
> commit time are pretty crude, and a real pain to get working.

Crude, yes, but not very hard to get working at all!  (yes, there are
too many crappy perl scripts out there, but starting from scratch isn't
that hard either)

>  Automated
> changelogs are nice, but there's not an easy way (any way?) to get them
> written out to disk at checkout time.

Huh?  What do you think CVS is?  Did you not RTFM?

Note that if you use a good programmable programmer's editor like emacs
then you can, if you really insist, use a GNU-style ChangeLog file to
derive the commit comments from.....

Properly though you should only ever care to write a ChangeLog during
your release step.  (any time you have commit access then you obviously
can run "cvs log" yourself if you want to refer to the commit logs!!!!)

I.e. "cvs export -kv -r 1_1 -d foo-1.1 foo; cvs log > foo-1.1/ChangeLog"

What's even remotely hard about that!?!?!?!?

--
								Greg A. Woods