[geeks] PowerBooks and OS X

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Mon Mar 11 09:32:07 CST 2002

>Hiya,
>
>OK, so I understand the big difference between the Lombard and Pismo as
>far as OS X is concerned is the video chip, yes? No support for the
>accelerated functions of the Rage LT Pro, right? What does that mean in
>practical terms for running OS X on the Lombard?

OS X will function fine on the Lombard.  The issue is that the Rage
LT Pro won't have any of its acceleration functions enabled, so it
will feel *VERY* slow under Aqua.  Also the Pismo has a Rage M3 chip
which actually has two controllers in it so you can dual head a Pismo
w/ a monitor, the Lombard is limited to video mirroring.  The other
major difference is a 66mhz bus on the Lombard, vs a 100mhz bus on
the pismo.  Aqua stuff is *HUGE* in memory and the faster you can
move that data the better.  Other than those two things, under OS X a
400 Pismo and a 400 Lombard are about equal.

daniel