[geeks] A little self-indulgence

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Mar 10 23:21:50 CST 2002

> I see you only have the one DNS server at the moment, if you want a
> secondary I'd be happy to provide one.  Likewise for secondary MX.

Many thanks.  I'll take you up on that offer.  The site'll be up once the
dust settles around here.  My main workstation just died on me.  Although,
it's Karma.  All this lovely Unix kit in the house, and I was using a PC,
just because I hadn't managed to migrate things over.

Now, I'm on the Octane, and I can already feel my blood becoming purer.
Now, if I could -only- get Postgres happy, I could get actual work done.
Seems it's happy with neither GCC (stupid struct-passing bug) nor MIPSpro
(syntax errors).  Suggestions are welcome--it looks like IRIX has been
ignored in the 7.2 rollout, and I don't want to clean up the port, if
someone else already has.

> Oh, and if you want to use part of unixbeard.net let me know.  Right now,
> it's mostly used for email but I'd be happy to delegate a sub-domain.  I

Sweet. :)

> could also provide web hosting temporarily - until you get that decent
> pipe to the house :-)

Thank you for the offer, but I've got 56k for now.  My website contains not
a single graphic, and I run mod_gzip.  Except for when Google hits my /docs
folder, I'm reasonably happy.  When the Earthlink cable service gets here,
I'll be -much- happier, unless they were lying to me[1] about all inbound
ports being unblocked.

DSL isn't available way out here in BFE, and a T1 would bankrupt me.

So, why don't I co-locate?
  1) I actually use my servers to hold all my reference material.  If I
     have to get it over the 'net, it's much less useful.  If I keep it
     all local, my site is just fluff.
  2) An Indigo2 is -just- too wide to not fit in a rack.
  3) I love to play with my toys.  I'm forever building neat widgets and
     daemons, and I fear I wouldn't be a nice person to share a server
     with.

--Jonathan
[1] I thought I was having a flashback when I heard "Why do you ask?  You
    want to run a server from home?  Cool!  We allow that.  That's really
    neat."