[geeks] Booze and Religion

Robert Slover robertjslover at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 9 13:19:03 CST 2002

I grew up poor and my family hunted and fished (in addition to
keeping a vegetable garden that was half a city lot).  I was still
hunting when I met my wife, and we happened to make a first
visit to my (now) mother-in-law just before deer season.  My
wife's step dad and I were discussing hunting and my mother
in law went off about how terrible it was.  She decided to be
a vegetarian on the spot (which didn't last too long...reactionary
vegetarianism doesn't seem to).  I decided to treat it in good
humor, and told her I had thought about forming a society for
those concerned about cruelty to plants...the acronym I came
up with was PETPEEV (People for the Ethical Treatment of Plants,
Especially Edible Vegetables).  I'm rather proud of the acronym,
as it expresses my annoyance with the holier-than-thou
attitudes I got from so many people while in college because
my family are hunters.

--Robert

Joshua D Boyd spake: