[geeks] Booze and Religion

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sat Mar 9 02:24:41 CST 2002

> > My fav quote from Dale Earnhardt (RIP)
> > "By the time his tuna salad and veggies is already worn out, my steak
> > and potatos are just kicking in - now who's gonna go the distance?"
>
> One might consider this quote being a little defensive, why bring it up at
> all? Race results should speak for themselves right? But I don't know the
> context of this quote.

Not at all.  A commentator was asking him about his pre-race meal, as
compared to Mark Martin's.  Dale's comment was pure fun - not at all
defensive, and not malicious at all.  this guy barely uttered a sentance
without humor in it...

> > I find it funny that when poked at, at vegetarian will get defensive and
> > hostile.  When a steak-eater gets poked at, they say "yeah, so...".
>
> True, it can go both ways. You are from ohio too so i think you will
> identify with this. You can silently and politely choose not to eat meat at
> the holidays and some people want to make a scene out of it. Like it's ok to
> not like cranberry sauce but if you don't like to eat turkey you are a
> freak. Someone will notice it and make a big deal about it. Is this not just
> as bad? Some people get bothered if I order a meatless meal at a place that
> specializes in meat dishes. This is their problem not mine. All I'm doing is
> eating how I feel like eating at the time. I guess they think I'm thinking
> badly of them for eating meat, which i'm not. I still enjoy meat sometimes,
> even red meat. I just don't care to eat it that often. I think it makes some
> people proactively defensive because they *expect* me to come out with an
> anti-meat tirade.

Ah!  I see.  Well, in that case I can totally identify.  The world is
full of highly judgemental people - who should be rightly and swiftly
clue-by-foured...

Kurt