[geeks] Be

Kyle Webb kylewebb at beckman.uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 28 22:19:37 CDT 2002

At 03:59 PM 6/28/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:
>
> > I was going to sell my Palm Vx, but I've decide to keep it.  PalmOS is
> *not*
> > the best OS for a plamtop (IMO), and I *would* like to see something with
> > features like WinCE, but without all the extra overhead that WinCE
> carries.  If
> > there's an OS that can do that, it's probably BeOS.  I just hope
> they're not
> > too late to market...
>
>What I've been drooling over the past day or so is the new
>Kyocera 7135.  It's the successor to my 6035 SmartPhone. Sure,
>it's still PalmOS, but it's color screen, has the chip slot of
>the new models and is also an MP3 player.  That and it's still
>a cell phone.
>
>Kurt wants =)
>
>Shame I just got this 6035...  =)

I recently got the 6035. I like it. (did you get in on the sale and rebate
deal that Sprint had on them? Effective cost, $30). Consolidates three
things I had hanging on my belt (Palm, cell, text pager). I don't see me
getting the 7135 anytime soon, tho. The faster data speed would be nice
(assuming they upgrade the ground stations here soon), but it's still a
dragonball and it just doesn't have the horses for one of the main things
I'd want to be able to do from it. SSH2. I can do SSH1 from the current
one. When they bring out one with 3G speed, palmOS 5 and an ARM processor,
then I'll look at spending the bucks for it. The color screen and the MP3
player and such are almost enough to get me to go for it, but not quite.
My one peeve with the 6035 is that you can't use a plug in keyboard while
connected for a data call.

Kyle Webb