[geeks] baby stuff

Beth Roberts beth at bethroberts.com
Fri Jun 28 12:35:09 CDT 2002

Jennifer Sharp wrote:
> You are a doula, huh? I may need you to deliver this child if my health
> insurance problems keep going the way they are.  :P

NoooooOOOooOooOoOooo!!!! Doulas do *not* do the catching of babies unless
Something Has Gone Horribly Awry and they're the only thing that stands
between the baby and a nasty fall or something.

Doulas are for rubbing your back, holding your hand, telling you it's ok to
be scared and pissed off but please remember to breathe, and gee wouldn't it
be a good idea if you and your hubby/SO/whatever have a private minute to
discuss the big invasive procedure that the doctor wants to do before he
starts poking or puncturing anything?....

Doulas also get to take pictures of all of you together and fun stuff like
that. It all depends, though, on the doula.

Doula training is in no way, shape, or form medical training.

Just wanted to clarify that.

-Beth