[geeks] looking for bitmap Font

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Jun 28 11:37:57 CDT 2002

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> That's OK though.  They look right in text view (did you know that
> XPMs are just text files?).

Of course.

.... pause ....

I edited[1] them in vim! :)

> I don't plan to do any GUI elements at this time.

Certainly.  If you plan on doing it at all, it should probably be one of
the last things layered on so that it isn't distracting from the
development of the rest of the environment.

> I just want to put together a proof of concept for how the user would
> interact with and use the proposed machine.

No problem.  The offer's open if you decide you need widgets, though.

> I do plan on breaking scheme convention in one maner and that is to
> actually use a lamdba instead of the keyword lambda (although that
> will work to).

The easiest way to do that, IMO, would be to have your tokenizer consider
the word lambda and the character lambda to be equivalent when generating
your syntax tree, and always just deparse to the lambda character.
However, I thought the convention on true LISP machines was to use a
lambda character.  I could be getting my hisotry wrong, though.

> Later implementations in hardware may break more conventions.

That's the general feel that I'm getting for Wily, too.  The syntax is
Scheme-like, but the runtime environment is quite different.

It's too bad you're not at or in contact with Rice.  I could completely
see the Rice CS department endorsing and/or assisting with such a project.
With luck, it could probably be done in such a way that you'd own the
final work.

--Jonathan
[1] For some reason, GIMP makes resizing an image a two-part process, but
    it's easy as cake in $editor.